Website Americares Free Clinics
About AmeriCares Free Clinics:
The mission of the Americares Free Clinics is to provide quality health care to low-income, uninsured patients in a setting where all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. Americares opened its first clinic in 1994 to expand access to care for the working poor. Over the years our program has grown to become the largest free clinic network in the state with four locations serving 3,000 patients annually. Today, our clinics in Bridgeport, Danbury, Norwalk and Stamford are the primary source of free medical care for the uninsured in Fairfield County.
The primary function of the health coach is to assist patients to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to self-manage their chronic conditions. Health coaching evolved in part due to research that has shown that half of patients leave medical visits without understanding the provider’s advice. Further, the majority of patients are not engaged in their health care leading to a lack of adherence and potential poor health outcomes … all of which results in frustration for the health care team. Health coaching provides one-on-one interactions with patients to ensure they know what they need to know, as well as what they need to do and why it is important. Motivating this behavior in a positive way and providing the tools to move forward is the basis for success. By utilizing health literacy and coaching precepts an equally important goal is to transform the clinic practice into a patient-centered approach to health care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with patients and care team to provide support and increase knowledge and understanding of health condition.
- Instill confidence and support patient in engaging in self-management skill, celebrating baby steps of progress
- Utilize motivational interviewing and assess patients’ readiness/confidence to change
- Provide support and empower patient in identifying self-management goals through shared decision making
- Support patient and team in identifying and advocating for referral to additional services
- Coordinate and communicate care needs effectively with patient, partners and primary care team members to ensure holistic plan of care
- Prepare patient for primary care visits with agenda and review patients’ understanding or recommendations
- Ensure clear, concise documentation of visit/progress and complete data collection in real time to ensure outcome measurement
- Assist patients to improve medication understanding and adherence
- Promote principles of health literacy
- Develop creative solutions to efficiently provide patient education and lifestyle change
- Acknowledge that AFC maintains a policy and procedure manual at all locations and agree to follow the policies and procedures set forth within the manual.
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity while working with diverse population
- Ensure equity and inclusion are at the core of all activities
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in a manner that is within the framework of Americares values being Collaborative…Accountable…Responsive…Effective
- Registered Nurse, licensed in Connecticut
- Certified Diabetes Educator preferred
- Must be bilingual – English/Spanish, preferable trilingual with Portuguese language skills
- At least 5 years experience working with patients with chronic illness
- Experience with electronic health records, data analysis and program reporting
- Ability to interact with a variety of individuals at various levels
- Work productively and independently
- Work in a team setting with clear communications both verbal and in writing
- Demonstrate experience with problem solving
- Passion for our mission and the desire to work with low-income, uninsured patients
To apply for this job please visit americares.csod.com.