Boulder County, Colorado
About Dental Aid:
Dental Aid was the first not-for-profit comprehensive dental clinic in Colorado. Founded as a referral organization in 1974, Dental Aid opened its first full-service clinic in Boulder in 1980. Dental Aid now has clinics located in Boulder, Longmont and Louisville which provide emergency, preventive, restorative and specialty care including pediatrics, oral surgery and orthodontics. Our tele-dentistry programs make oral health services more accessible by bringing the services of a registered dental hygienist to community settings where patients are already present.
- Dental Aid currently employs nine dentists (6.2 FTE) and five dental hygienists. In 2017, 7,124 individuals received dental care from Dental Aid, in over 26,000 visits.
- Dental Aid’s Community Based Hygiene Programs provide children, adolescents and adults with diagnostic and preventive oral health services in non-clinic settings such as schools and community centers. A registered dental hygienist using portable equipment provides oral health education, screenings, fluoride varnish, cleanings, sealants, diagnosis, radiographs and interim therapeutic restorations.
- In 2017 our teledentistry program provided services to over 1,000 students in public school settings and over 150 adults received services in community locations including the Mental Health Partners Ryan Wellness Center
- Marcie’s Fund for Uninsured Children exists in order to provide subsidized oral health care and education for children and youth, ages 0 to 20 who would otherwise not be able to receive the care they need. This grant-funded program provides care for uninsured, low-income children who are not eligible for Medicaid or Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) at the time of service.
- Adult Assured Access provides outreach, oral health education, and comprehensive dental care for uninsured residents of our community. Dental Aid is the primary provider of comprehensive oral health care in the safety-net system operating in Boulder County. Dental Aid fees are approximately 50% of the usual and customary fees for private dentists in our region.
Dental Aid’s mission is to improve the quality of life of children and adults by providing compassionate, accessible, affordable, high quality dental care and education.
Dental Aid’s values are: Access, Compassion, High Quality Care, Innovation, and Prevention.
Dental Aid is seeking an ED who embraces the values and mission of the organization. The ED directs the strategic development, growth and operations of this vital community organization, while demonstrating strong cultural awareness to both staff and its diverse community. The ED has overall accountability to meet revenue needs, develop key provider affiliations, establish and nurture influential relationships with city, county and state entities and non-profit organizations. As the local leader in redefining how dental health care is integrated and addressed in a community, Dental Aid seeks an experienced professional who will flourish in a work environment where the mission of service is integrated into all aspects of the organization.
The Dental Aid ED reports to the Dental Aid Board of Directors, which currently operates under the Carver model of Policy Governance. This emphasizes (a) outward vision rather than an internal preoccupation, (b) encouragement of diversity in viewpoints, (c) strategic leadership more than administrative detail, (d) clear distinction of board and chief executive roles, (e) collective rather than individual decisions, (f) future rather than past or present, and (g) proactivity rather than reactivity.
Key Desired Attributes:
- Passionate about Dental Aid’s mission and values. Leadership style reflects this commitment; walks the talk. Highly motivated and able to drive results with disciplined follow-though.
- Identifies market-specific priorities and determine the appropriate strategic approaches that will drive the business model and differentiate us in the marketplace. Assures financial stability for Dental Aid.
- Applies strong strategic thinking and business acumen with the ability to align clinical and operational strategies with business objectives.
- Understands public health thinking, chronic disease management, and the role of prevention as applied to oral health.
- Expertise and effective communication skills regarding community relationships; brings creative entrepreneurial thinking to collaborating and teaming with community partners.
- Ability to sustain and elevate Dental Aid’s role in the community as a trusted and essential safety net provider.
- Effectively supports, engages, and motivates staff.
- Supports patient-centered care; strengthens and enhances patient satisfaction.
- Fundraising and grantsmanship skills. Successful experience in marketing, branding, and advertising to bolster the business model.
Leadership and communication skills
- Develops and maintains positive, professional, productive relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, including the public, staff, other agencies, and the Board of Directors; ability to be an effective, positive leader.
- Drives change, influences individuals at all levels of the organization and takes appropriate risks.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including making effective presentations, skillful meeting facilitation; ability to skillfully and positively facilitate diverse interests.
- Excellent written communication skills including synthesizing complex information accurately into concise, understandable reports.
Program planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Works with the Board of Directors to periodically update the Dental Aid Strategic Plan.
- Plans, implements, manages and evaluates programs or services; achieving project goals and objectives
- Exceptional organizational and coordination abilities, including but not limited to organizing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Prioritizes and manages complex tasks and changing priorities; flexibility.
- Hires and supervises individuals and teams (including hiring, orienting, training, evaluating, disciplinary actions, etc.); overseeing their goal setting and progress, following personnel management procedures and law.
- Promotes ongoing development and motivation of staff and maintains a professional environment in which staff can grow and develop.
Budget planning and management
- Analyzes budget performance and variances throughout the fiscal year and makes necessary adjustments and corrections.
- Provides budget and financial management.
- Develops an understanding of working with dental insurance, particularly Medicaid.
Clinic management/Clinical excellence
- Ability to provide broad oversight and assure excellence in clinic/service functions such as scheduling, patient flow, work flow, information and records management, quality control, equipment management, etc.
- Developing and implementing excellent customer service principles and practices.
- Maintains awareness of current state of the art regarding oral health research, appropriately integrates best practices and evidence-based practice.
Community outreach, engaging stakeholders
- Visibility and involvement in community outreach effort.
- Ability to work with and be sensitive to the needs of patients with low incomes, physical disabilities, mental health or substance use disorders, and/or intellectual or developmental disabilities.
- Sincere interest in understanding, engaging, and responding to the needs of diverse under-served target populations.
Collaboration with community partners
- Proven ability to quickly gain credibility, influence and partner with employees, business leaders, state and local partners and the clinical community
- Build, develop, improve, influence and expand relationships with state and local government and stakeholders
Grantsmanship and fundraising
- Strong skills in grantsmanship, including cultivating strong relationships with foundations and other funders, and developing compelling concepts and innovative ideas for original funding requests.
- In concert with the board of directors, creates a philanthropy strategy and annual operating plan that promotes mission achievement and financial sustainability. Executes the organization’s philanthropy operating plan to achieve plan goals.
Master's degree or higher in public health, health/human services administration, business, or a related field.
Note: While a degree in dentistry or other background in oral health is of added value, the Board of Directors does not believe it is realistic for the Executive Director to also serve as Dental Director. Once hired, the Executive Director will oversee the hiring of a dental director to oversee clinical aspects of the agency including clinical supervision of clinical staff.
Minimum of five years of progressively responsible management experience with significant leadership responsibilities, preferably in the areas of health and human services and/or oral health services.
Two or more years of demonstrated leadership ability and outcomes in a complex organizational setting, including demonstration of most of the attributes listed in Key Attributes above.
Two or more years of experience in most of the categories listed in the Primary Responsibilities section above highly desirable.
Salary will be determined based upon qualifications and experience. Salary range is $105,000 to $120,000 per year, subject to qualifications and final terms and conditions of employment.
Dental Aid offers a complete benefits package including generous paid time off, a medical and dental benefits package, and participation in a 401(k) pension plan. Dental Aid values a work life balance and is located in beautiful Boulder County, Colorado.
Dental Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Please submit the following as a single PDF to email@example.com:
- A cover letter telling us why you are interested in this position and summarizing your strengths as a potential leader for this organization. Feel free to address how your background addresses the key attributes sought by the organization.
- Your résumé.
Deadline for submission of an application is Friday, July 13, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time.