Lake County Free Clinic (LCFC) is seeking a dental assistant to work with adults and children. This is a part-time position (average 18 hours per week - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday).
The purpose of the Dental Assistant position is to maintain the dental operatory, serve as liaison between the dental clinic and other LCFC staff, provides clinical orientation and support to dental volunteers, and attends to the dental care needs of the patients. Under the direction of the Dentist on duty the DA will greet, seat and prepare patients for their care and will assist the Dentist and/or Hygienist. The Dental Assistant is supervised by the LCFC Staff Clinical Director and Volunteer Dental Director.
- Creates a friendly, comfortable setting in which the patient can feel supported and cared for.
- Conforms to local, regional, state, and national regulatory agency policies.
- Seats and prepares patient; takes and records medical and dental histories and vital signs of patient via electronic medical records (EPIC MyPractice Community).
- Assists dentist and/or hygienist during examination and treatment.
- Escorts patient to front desk at end of treatment.
- Expose and develop diagnostic dental x-rays (must have Radiation Safety Certificate).
- Instructs patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
- Provides postoperative instructions prescribed by dentist.
- Records treatment information in patient records (electronic medical record, EPIC MyPractice Community).
- Sterilizes instruments.
- Cleans and disinfects operatory after use and prepares operatory for patient care following P&P guidelines.
- Maintains equipment on prescribed schedule (e.g., x-ray processor, traps, curing lights, hand pieces, sterilizers, spore tests, etc.).
- Reports equipment and instrument malfunctions to LCFC staff.
- Maintains asepsis during all procedures.
- Stocks the operatory as appropriate.
- Helps to complete housekeeping lists posted in sterile room.
- Provides clinical orientation and support to dental program volunteers.
- May supervise volunteer DAs and students, when applicable.
- Completion of Dental Assistant program, or equivalent training
- Be certified by the state of Ohio to take X-rays
- Two or more years’ clinical practice experience preferred
- Proficient in the procedures of dentistry, clinic infection control, and x-ray, as well as cleaning and sterilization of instruments
- Follows OSHA and HIPAA standards in all duties performed in the clinic
- Demonstrates effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Supports the mission of LCFC and has the ability to offer encouragement to patients
- Willing to ask for help when situations present which are beyond their ability, knowledge, or scope of practice
- Exhibits a willingness to learn new skills within the scope of practice
- Ability to work effectively and collegially as part of the LCFC team
- Must be able to move, stand, stoop, walk, and bend freely
Job Type: Part-time
Please email your resume to email@example.com call the clinic at 440-754-0175