VOLUNTEERS IN MEDICINE AMERICA - Position: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board Chair
Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) America seeks a seasoned professional self-starter to direct and manage the national office, which is located in Hilton Head, SC. The VIM America national office is a nonprofit dedicated to developing and sustaining a network of free health care clinics for America’s uninsured and medically underserved. VIM clinics are modeled after the flagship clinic in Hilton Head.
In coordination with the Board of Directors, the CEO is responsible for leading the national office in accordance the organizational mission and the strategic plan. The CEO manages all fundraising activities and is ultimately responsible for funding the organization. Fundraising skills are critical.
Volunteers in Medicine America will be accepting and reviewing applications up until September 30, 2020
Roles and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Board in creating strategic plan and goals that support and advance VIM’s vision and mission. With the Board, establish the measurements and method to consistently review progress of the strategic plans and goals and ensure its execution.
- Develop an annual operating plan and budget in collaboration with the Board. Convert budget, goals and programs into a work plan that guides results and produces the desired outcomes.
- Identify, assess and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect VIM.
- Maintain a high degree of knowledge about national trends in community health care, the uninsured, safety-net programs, the changing health care environment, and volunteerism.
- Maintain a collaborative work environment and relate to all team members in a courteous and respectful manner.
Fundraising and Communications
- Participate in the creation of the annual development plan to ensure the funding sources are diversified and optimized with particular focus on national based organizations.
- Provide direction to staff and Board, focusing on the most significant opportunities to increase revenue growth and sustainability.
- Ensure the highest level of transparency and separation between the VIM America donor base and that of the local clinic organizations.
- Collaborate with the Board chair on fundraising and stewardship efforts of the Board.
- Maintain a strong, consistent and forward-focused brand identity for Volunteers in Medicine America and all of its alliance clinics.
- Take an active leadership role in soliciting funds and stewarding major and corporate donors while working with Board members to identify additional sources/donors.
- Provide leadership for creating a superior public image through media relations/contacts, speaking engagements, and presence at appropriate public, national, and community events.
- Secure sponsors for the VIM national conference.
- Lead and manage all aspects of the proposal process including budget preparation, proposal writing, relationship building, follow up and reporting.
- Work with support staff to establish donor databases.
- Coach and train members of the VIM America Board to increase their understanding of and participation in meeting VIM’s fundraising goals.
- Ensure the operation of VIM meets the expectations of clients, Board members, staff and funders.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of VIM.
- Create structures that facilitate effective staff performance (including but not limited to recommending HR policies to the Board; hiring, orienting, training, and supervising staff; conducting annual performance evaluations and fostering a culture of caring and mutual respect consistent with the VIM mission).
Program Planning and Management
- Understand the VIM Model and oversee the development of quality, sustainable VIM Clinics.
- Lead the development of new VIM clinic benefits and grant programs.
- Ensure the integrity of the VIM model is maintained throughout the VIM network.
- Cultivate new and existing partnerships with organizations whose missions align with VIM.
- Oversee event planning for the VIM national conference.
- Provide the Board with monthly financial statements, as well as annual tax returns for approval prior to submission to IRS.
- Ensure required financial controls are in place and enforced.
Board Development and Support
- Take an active leadership role in collaboration with the Board chair in the development and support of the Board including the recruiting of new Board members.
- Participate in the orientation of new Board members.
- Collaborate with the Board chair on the preparation and coordination of Board schedules, meetings, retreats, and other Board matters.
- In collaboration with the Board chair, develop a working committee structure of the Board.
- Participate as ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and Board committees by contributing expertise and input.
- Ensure Board policies, practices, records and bylaws are kept current.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or related field.
- At least five years of significant fund-raising track record.
- 10 years prior business experience with at least 3 years in an executive role.
- Demonstrated track record of generating funds from foundations, major donors, and corporations.
- Strong marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
- A passionate commitment to the mission of Volunteers in Medicine.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication and polished presentation skills.
- Self-motivated, with a history of strong relationships with colleagues, donors and Board members.Proficient in MS Office Suite platforms.
- Ability to travel to meet with funders, Board members, alliance clinics, and partner organizations around the country.
- Experience in community health care, primary care, public health.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE)
- Able to bring previous corporate and foundation contacts to the position.
- Experience with fundraising software and or CRM software.